Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Shameless Self-Promotion: My Show at Meredith College



I'm having a show of my photographs, opening September 12th, in the Rotunda Gallery of Johnson Hall at Meredith College, in Raleigh, with the title "Living in the Gaze."

The show is up in the Rotunda Gallery in Johnson Hall on the Meredith campus until November 14th.

This work explores the commercial street as a theater, where we perform for each other our roles as men and women. Its about image and gender and commerce, or as Eliot put it, its about the faces we prepare to meet the faces that we meet.

I hope you, gentle readers of this blog, can make it to the reception or get to see the show before it comes down in mid-November. If not, you can see the show on-line if you go here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jnwallphoto/sets/72157624591947917/

In either case, let me know what you think.

Some of these images were made in the South. Many were not. What I think is Southern about them is an awareness I have from my Southern background of life as a kind of performance art. Part of being Southern is inheriting roles and costumes along with the history and the weather. After all, the difference between Scarlett O'Hara and Lady Gaga is a matter of degree, not kind.

The photographer is a part of the drama of performance as both audience and participant. We play our roles as artists as others play their roles as gendered people, as consumers, as embodiments of desire.

Now, that's done. I feel better. Now, back to keeping up with the REALLY important Southern photographers . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment