Monday, October 5, 2015

Sally Mann in Rome




Distinguished Southern Photographer Sally Mann is scheduled to read from her recently published memoir Hold Still at the American Academy in Rome on Wednesday, October 7th, 2015 at 6:00 pm, Rome time. 

Mann's reading is in celebration of the opening of an exhibition of Cy Twombly's photographs (see image above) at the Academy, a show that remains on view until November 22nd, 2015. 

Born, as was Mann, in Lexington, VA, and best known as a painter, Twombly made photographs throughout his career. His Time in the South included studying at Washington and Lee University in Virginia and Black Mountain College in North Carolina.

Twombly received a grant from the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in the early 1950's which enabled him to travel to North Africa, Spain, Italy, and France. Twombly later taught at the Southern Seminary and Junior College in Buena Vista, Virginia, now known as Southern Virginia University.

In this reading, Mann will explore her own relationship with Twombly and their shared romance with the American South, specifically their love for the landscapes of their hometown Lexington, Virginia. 

Mann's reading will be followed by a conversation with curator Peter Benson Miller, Andrew Heiskell Arts Director at the American Academy in Rome.

For more on the exhibition of Cy Twombly's photographs at the American Academy in Rome, go here.

If you are in Rome on October 7th, this is a not-to-be-missed event.  Please let me know how it goes so I can post a full report to this blog. 
 

3 comments:

  1. Having graduated from VMI at the time Dr. Munger was a physician in Lexington and Sally Mann was a teenager, I was naturally very interested in reading 'Hold Still.' Actually I was not sure I would like it, but as I am reading it realize that it totally lives up to the critical acclaim it has received.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But who knew Mann knew Cy Twombly? And that all this would be revealed if only I could get to the American Academy in Rome tomorrow? Why am I here in Raleigh when I could be in Rome? The mysteries of life . . . . ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly I looked at this blog I never even imagined that how much I will pay attention towards this writing, guys your writer is a great men! http://bpsop.com

    ReplyDelete