Several items of interest:
1. The folks behind the Gallery at Willjax in Cleveland, MS are opening a show of work by Magdalena Solé,
on August 23rd, 2012, from her portfolio New Delta Rising, up through September.
This show will be followed by a show in October and November featuring photographs by Kathleen Robbins from her portfolio Into the Flat Land, also work made in the Mississippi Delta.
2. Long-time western North Carolina photographer Rob Amberg has a new website, and a new blog.
3. Cary, NC-based photographer Roger May has interesting discussions up on his blog about William Gedney photographing in Appalachia, go here and here. There is also a related discussion on Fresh Air, here.
4. Folks at FRANK, a gallery and artists' collaborative on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill, NC, have just announced a two-month-long photography festival, called FRANK: In Focus, billed as "an in-depth exploration and celebration of photography."
FRANK: In Focus will begin September 5th and run through November 1st, 2012. Events will include panels, salons, presentations, special exhibitions, and a visit by Atlanta's peripatetic Jennifer Schwartz.
For more details, go here:
5. For those following the controversial ouster of founder Marc Smirnoff at the Oxford American, go here to the New York Times story, or here, to stories from Arkansas media, or here, for a story on Slate.