Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Shane Lavalette on fototazo


Shane Lavalette's portfolio for his High Museum of Art commission to photograph in the South -- or at least some part of it -- is now available for viewing at the  fototazo blog, here.

Shane has also just had his proposal to publish a book-length version of this work funded through Kickstarter, where you can see some more of the images from this project.

Shane says this about his method of proceeding with this portfolio:

"Over the past few years in particular I had grown interested and fond of old time music, and dived into listening to everything from blues to gospel ballads to bluegrass.

"Music was a fertile topic for photography, but I knew early on that I wanted to explore it more playfully so I avoided any real documentary outline for myself.

"I intended to visit historically relevant places and musically significant people but allow that to simply be the thread that would loosely tie things together. This opened up my practice in a completely refreshing way."

So, Shane's work on this commission is to be read as a playful exploration of the South, with its music serving as a thread, without any real documentary outline, but nonetheless a refreshing experience for the photographer.

Definitely worth having a look at Shane's work, to see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment